BA In Biology
Jen Clifford has more than 30 years experience as a biologist, aquarist, and fishkeeper. She started her first aquarium in childhood when she snuck a fishbowl into her bedroom and filled it with African dwarf frogs and ten-cent feeder goldfish.
Her passion grew from there, and by high-school she was breeding African cichlids and selling them for profit. At Reed College, Jen made ends meet by caring for the biology department aquariums and mastered the retail side of the industry by working for a local aquarium specialty store.
Jen is an expert in setting up new tanks and maintaining naturally-planted freshwater habitats, and has experience raising a wide variety of aquatic species. She can help you with any of your fishkeeping problems. Whether you need advice on filters or substrate, or just want to know if you should take the plunge and get an aquarium, Jen has the answers for you!
Read More From Jen Clifford
- Best Automatic Fish FeedersWhether you’re planning a vacation or just have a busy schedule, check out our reviews to find the Best Automatic Fish Tank Feeder for any aquarium!
- Gourami: Species Overview And Aquarium Care GuideGouramis are some of the most beautiful and diverse groups of fish in the trade, so check out this care guide to identify the best type for your tank!
- Long-Tailed Comet Goldfish: Complete Care and Feeding GuideThe Comet is a hearty goldfish with a fancy long tail, so check out our care guide to see if these “shooting stars” are right for your tank or pond!
- Best Fish Tank Coffee Tables – Cool Ideas For Your LivingroomFitting an aquarium into a small space can be a challenge, so consider buying or building one of these functional fish tank coffee tables instead!
- Iridescent Shark- Lifespan, Care Guides And More!The shy and timid Iridescent Shark can grow over 4 feet in length, so what do these advanced and challenging catfish require to thrive in an aquarium?
- Guide to Breeding Betta Fish – Tips and Tricks For Success!It takes some preparation to successfully mate betta fish, so check out our step-by-step instructions in this Basic Betta Breeding Guide!
- Rabbit Snail (Elephant Snail) – Lifespan, Care Guides, And More!Rabbit Snails are colorful, easy to care for and ideal for peaceful freshwater communities, so check out our guide to see if they’re right for your tank!
- Yoyo Loach (Botia almorhae) – Lifespan, Size, Temperature, and More!The Yoyo loach is a bottom-dweller that makes an exciting addition to the aquarium. Read this guide to learn how to care for these flashy, peaceful fish.
- 15 Fish for a 10-Gallon Tank – And How Many Can You Fit?Are you a fan of smaller tanks? Here’s a quick guide on some of the best fish for 10-gallon tanks, and how many you can fit!
- Blue Phantom Pleco – Size, Tank, Care, Diet, GrowthThe fabulous Blue Phantom Pleco is a midsize suckermouth catfish with stunning markings that’s ideal for community aquariums 50-gallons and up!
- Pleco Fish (Plecostomus) – Lifespan, Care Guides, And More!The Common Plecostomus is a popular and inexpensive catfish, but is this giant and aggressive algae eater a good option for your aquatic community?
- Clown Pleco (Panaqolus Maccus) – Size, Temperature, Diet and CareIf you’re looking for a colorful suckerfish that won’t outgrow a small aquarium, then check out our detailed CareGuide to the dwarf Clown Pleco!
- Fun Fish Tank Themes – 15 Creative Ideas For Your Aquarium!If you’d like to see some exciting aquarium designs, check this list of fun fish tank themes and learn how easy it is to bring a motif to life inside your tank!
- Best Places To Buy Goldfish For Sale OnlineHere’s our recommendations of the best websites for buying goldfish online, whether you want an inexpensive pet or a show-quality goldfish!
- Aquarium Guppy Grass (Najas Guadalupensis) – Benefits And CareIf you’re looking for a low-maintenance aquarium plant that looks beautiful and helps purify your water, then check out our Guide to the amazing Guppy Grass!
- Spotted Raphael Catfish – Lifespan, Care Guides, And More!If you’re looking for an easy and interesting option for a mid to large size aquarium, consider the beautiful black and white Spotted Raphael Catfish!