BA In Biology
Jen Clifford has more than 30 years experience as a biologist, aquarist, and fishkeeper. She started her first aquarium in childhood when she snuck a fishbowl into her bedroom and filled it with African dwarf frogs and ten-cent feeder goldfish.
Her passion grew from there, and by high-school she was breeding African cichlids and selling them for profit. At Reed College, Jen made ends meet by caring for the biology department aquariums and mastered the retail side of the industry by working for a local aquarium specialty store.
Jen is an expert in setting up new tanks and maintaining naturally-planted freshwater habitats, and has experience raising a wide variety of aquatic species. She can help you with any of your fishkeeping problems. Whether you need advice on filters or substrate, or just want to know if you should take the plunge and get an aquarium, Jen has the answers for you!
Read More From Jen Clifford
- Best Automatic Fish FeedersWhether you’re planning a vacation or just have a busy schedule, check out our reviews to find the Best Automatic Fish Tank Feeder for any aquarium!
- Gourami: Species Overview And Aquarium Care GuideGouramis are some of the most beautiful and diverse groups of fish in the trade, so check out this care guide to identify the best type for your tank!
- Ultimate Care Guide To The Brilliant Rummy Nose TetraThe Rummy Nose Tetra is popular, if slightly challenging community fish, so check out this complete care guide to see if they’re right for your tank!
- Long-Tailed Comet Goldfish: Complete Care and Feeding GuideThe Comet is a hearty goldfish with a fancy long tail, so check out our care guide to see if these “shooting stars” are right for your tank or pond!
- Best Fish Tank Coffee Tables – Cool Ideas For Your LivingroomFitting an aquarium into a small space can be a challenge, so consider buying or building one of these functional fish tank coffee tables instead!
- Iridescent Sharks: Advanced Fish Keeper’s Guide to the Giant Blue CatfishThe shy and timid Iridescent Shark can grow over 4 feet in length, so what do these advanced and challenging catfish require to thrive in an aquarium?
- Basics Of Breeding Betta FishIt takes some preparation to successfully mate betta fish, so check out our step-by-step instructions in this Basic Betta Breeding Guide!
- Rabbit Snails: Aquatic Invertebrate Care GuideRabbit Snails are colorful, easy to care for and ideal for peaceful freshwater communities, so check out our guide to see if they’re right for your tank!
- Yoyo Loach: Feeding, Care and Species GuideThe flashy Yoyo loach is ideal for peaceful planted communities, so check out our Care Guide to see if they’re a good option for your mature aquarium.
- Best Fish for 10 Gallon TanksWhat are the best fish for 10-gallon tanks, and how many fish can you fit inside one? We’ll teach you the art of stocking a small aquarium!
- Bala Sharks: Complete Care Guide To Freshwater SharksIt’s not always easy to raise a group of fierce-looking Bala Sharks in a community tank, so learn how to care for and maintain a peaceful shark tank!
- Red Tail Sharks: Detailed Care and Species GuideThe Red Tail Shark is an active and attractive freshwater bottom dweller, but is a semi-aggressive algae eater a good fit for your aquatic community?
- Blue Phantom Pleco: Catfish Care and Species GuideThe fabulous Blue Phantom Pleco is a midsize suckermouth catfish with stunning markings that’s ideal for community aquariums 50-gallons and up!
- Common Plecostomus: Complete Armored Catfish Care GuideThe Common Plecostomus is a popular and inexpensive catfish, but is this giant and aggressive algae eater a good option for your aquatic community?
- Colorful Clown Pleco: Complete Guide to Dwarf Algae EatersIf you’re looking for a colorful suckerfish that won’t outgrow a small aquarium, then check out our detailed CareGuide to the dwarf Clown Pleco!
- Bristlenose Plecostomus: Algae Eater Care and Species GuideIf you’d like a functional algae eater that looks like an alien creature straight out of the movies, check out the peaceful Bristlenose Plecostomus!