BA In Biology
Jen Clifford has more than 30 years experience as a biologist, aquarist, and fishkeeper. She started her first aquarium in childhood when she snuck a fishbowl into her bedroom and filled it with African dwarf frogs and ten-cent feeder goldfish.
Her passion grew from there, and by high-school she was breeding African cichlids and selling them for profit. At Reed College, Jen made ends meet by caring for the biology department aquariums and mastered the retail side of the industry by working for a local aquarium specialty store.
Jen is an expert in setting up new tanks and maintaining naturally-planted freshwater habitats, and has experience raising a wide variety of aquatic species. She can help you with any of your fishkeeping problems. Whether you need advice on filters or substrate, or just want to know if you should take the plunge and get an aquarium, Jen has the answers for you!
Read More From Jen Clifford
- Standard Aquarium Sizes: Dimensions, Capacities and WeightsSee a full list of the standard aquarium sizes and learn how to pick the right tank based on their dimensions, capacity and weight.
- 55 Types of Guppies: A Detailed Guide to Species, Tail Shapes and ColorsIf you’ve ever wondered about the different types of guppies, this guide will give you the details on the different species, tail shapes, patterns, and colors!
- 173 Clever and Funny Fish Jokes and Puns!For-tuna-tely, you don’t have to flounder around looking for funny fish jokes and puns, because we’ve netted 173 of the best for your amusement!
- Comparing Algae Eaters: Otocinclus Vestitus VS VittatusOtocinclus are some of the best algae-eating catfish in the trade and in this short guide we’ll break down the differences between two species, O.vestitus vs O.vittatus.
- How Long Can Fish Live In A Bag?How long can fish survive in plastic bags when you’re bringing them home or relocating them, and how do you shift fish from the bag into their tank?
- Cute, Clever and Interesting Names for Betta FishFind an extensive list of cute, clever, and funny names for Betta fish along with advice and tips on naming!
- Siamese Algae Eater: Complete Care and Species GuideLearn how to set-up the ideal habitat for your Siamese Algae Eater, and get detailed recommendations on their care and feeding!
- Guide to Using Undergravel Filters vs Power Filters in AquariumsHow do Undergravel Filter vs Power Filter compare when you’re looking for the best filtration system for your aquarium?
- Sponge Filter VS HOB: Which Filtration System Is Better?When comparing Sponge Filters vs HOBs, how can you identify the right filtration system for your tank?
- Betta Laying On Its Side: What’s Wrong With My Pet?If a betta is laying on the bottom of your tank or floating sideways what does it mean and what should you do?
- Guide to Growing Lucky Bamboo: Is It Safe for Aquariums?Despite the myths and negative rumors, Lucky Bamboo is a beautiful and safe option for planted freshwater aquariums!
- Vallisneria: Aquatic Plant Care GuideIt doesn’t take a green thumb or expensive equipment to aquascape an aquarium when you choose low maintenance Vallisneria aquatic plants!
- Striped Zebra Danio: Complete Care and Species GuideLearn why the Zebra Danio is one of the most popular species of freshwater fish, and how to care for and breed a shoal of your own!
- Rubber Lipped Pleco: Ultimate Species And Care GuideIf you’re looking for an algae eater for a mid-sized tank, then consider the easy to care for Rubber Lipped Pleco!
- Best Aquarium Powerhead WavemakersThis guide shows you how the best aquarium wavemakers and powerheads can improve the health of your tank by replicating natural water currents!
- Watonai Goldfish: Complete Care GuideMaster the art of caring for one of the rarest and most beautiful aquarium and pond pets in this Complete Guide to Watonai Goldfish.